Thursday, October 7, 2010

CoCo's Kick-Ass Kimchi Soup



My last attempt at making Kimchi soup was a disaster. But this is one of my favorite Korean dishes, so I lay down my pride, do my homework, bought the right ingredients and the result was a KICK-ASS, super delicious kimchi soup. I seriously could charge people for a bowl of this spicy goodness.

I believe the key to this unbelievable success was the tub of hot pepper paste I bought at the Korean specialty store.



Also, I have to give credit to this great new blog I discovered. I altered his recipe a little, it was great. :)

So anyway, here's what you need.

250g pork belly, sliced
1 medium onion, sliced
1 garlic, minced
1 small knob of ginger, minced
1 bowl of kimchi
1 bowl of cabbage
1/2 block of silken toufu
2 bowls of water
2 tablespoons of Korean hot pepper paste
2 teaspoons of soya sauce (I use fish soya sauce)
1 knob of butter
Spring onion, sliced for garnish

1. With a little sesame oil and regular cooking oil, fry the pork belly to get some of the oil out. Add in the onion, garlic and ginger and stir fry till fragrant.

2. Squeeze out some juice from the kimchi or get it from the jar. Add in the kimchi juice, the kimchi, the cabbage, water, hot pepper paste and soya sauce. Boil the soup for 15-20mins, add in the toufu at the last 5 mins.

3. Before serving, mix in the butter for a rich, flavour. Garnish with spring onions and serve with rice.

As I was typing this I realised that I forgot to add the shaoxing wine. But it delicious nonetheless! Next time I'll add it in. :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...