Monday, March 29, 2010

Ah Orh Seafood Restaurant



Located at the mature estate of Bukit Merah, Ah Orh is a tze char restaurant serving authentic Teochew cuisines. It's my first time there, recommended by my Hubby, and I must say, it's been awhile since I've had such a delicious, satisfying dinner!

We ordered dishes such as stir fry spinach, Thai style pork ribs, and of course, their signature Teochew dishes such as Hey Zhor (deep fried prawn rolls), steamed promfret and my favourite dessert, Orh Nee (Yam Paste).



Even a simple dish such as stir fry spinach was made extraordinary when they add in crispy, fragrant dried fish. Their Thai style pork ribs was delicious too! Deep fried bite sized pork ribs is stir fried with thai style sweet and spicy sauce. Top with pickled cucumbers, onions and chilli. Love the crunchy, sour, pickled cucumbers! Very 开胃~ Can't stop!



Their Hey Zhor is a must-try. For those who don't know what's that, its a mixture of prawns, meat, yam, spices, water chestnuts, etc, all minced and rolled up with beancurd sheet. Then it's steamed, cut into bite size pieces and fried till it's crispy on the outside, soft and savory on the inside. Dip into some sweet sauce before you pop them into your mouth and soon, the whole plate would be gone!



Ah... who can resist this... Orh Nee!



Just by looking at the greyish colour you know that they made it from real yam, from scratch. Orh Nee is very tedious to make, so many establishments use instant mix, or fake yam. So it usually turns out a pretty purple colour. Bleah! But not for Ah Orh. Their Orh Nee was not too sweet and tasted a wonderful fragrance of yam. If you savour it slowly, you can even feel some tiny lumps of yam! haha...



One thing that surprised me was the lack of fried onion oil. Many Teochew restaurant liked to add alot of fried onion oil into the orh nee, which I don't really like as it masked the yam taste. Ah Orh didn't add the oil, or maybe it's so minimum that I can't taste any. They did add the usual ginkgo nuts and dates though, but I'm not a fan, so I gave them to my hubby. :)

My Sis-in-law paid for the dinner, so Im not sure how much it cost. But I don't believe it would be expensive as it's not a high end restaurant anyway. We'll definitely go back again, and I suggest you do so too! :)

Ah Orh Seafood Restaurant

Tel: 62757575 / 62753535 (Making reservations strongly advised!)
Blk 115 Jalan Bukit Merah
#01-1627
Singapore 160115

Operating Hours:
11am - 2pm, 5.30pm - 9pm Daily

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...