Friday, July 22, 2011

Miss CoCo's Cornflake Clusters

Jolie's playgroup was having a little party to celebrate Racial Harmony Day, so I thought I make something. The teacher wanted us to bring some traditional treats, but because I found out a little too late, I didn't have the time to prepare anything elaborate. If I knew earlier, I would have made some of my delicious pineapple tarts!

Anyway, no time, so I decided to make a modern CNY treat, cornflake clusters.



I've never made them before, so I did a little homework on the internet and improvised this recipe myself. Turned out a little too sweet, even for me! So I came out with this revised recipe.

60g Unsalted Butter
30g Caster sugar
60g Honey
220g Unsweetened Cereal
24g Raisins

  1. Bring the honey and butter to a boil over small fire. Let it boil for 3 -4 minutes while you prepare the rest.
  2. Pour the honey mixture into the cornflakes and raisins and mix well.
  3. Scoop into prepared mini cupcake cases. It's easier if you put the cases into the cupcake tins 1st, so that it will hold it's shape no matter how you shove the cornflakes in.
  4. Chill for several hours.




My original recipe was:

60g Unsalted Butter
60g Caster sugar
60g Honey
110g Banana Nut Crunch
24g Raisins

But like I said, it was way too sweet. Some pointers:
  • Banana Nut Crunch has a great mix of wholewheat cereal, granola, walnuts and dried banana, making it very nutritious. But it alone was already sweet, so it's not suitable for this recipe. Try something unsweetened to balance it out.
  • There was too much honey-sugar mixture versus the cereal. So the sugar coating was too thick, making it quite hard, like a candy. Adding more cornflakes would retain the crispy-ness of the cornflakes, held together by a little sweet syrup.


Other than that, it's a great party finger food, sweet and crispy. Perfect for kids party!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...